Cardboard boxes are usually used in industries to pack different types of material. They are commonly found to protect different items but are susceptible to water and moisture, so they can be easily broken down and decomposed. So, to avoid these issues, you can make them waterproof. After performing a lot of research, we have found some methods to make them waterproof.
Can you make cardboard boxes waterproof?
Of course, they can be waterproofed in different ways. Numerous items available on the market can make your board waterproof. But the spray is effective, cheap, and easy to use.
What are the benefits of making cardboard waterproof?
- Water and moisture can easily damage cardboard, so you should make them waterproof to keep your items safe. The benefits that you can get by waterproofing them are given.
- So, waterproofing can make your cardboard boxes free from moisture, so in this way, they can be used easily and tension-free.
- You can use them multiple times by ensuring they are moisture-free.
- If there is dust or snow, a good waterproof coating on cardboard boxes can protect them from environmental conditions.
- Keeping cardboard boxes free from water is vital because people use these boxes for crafts.
- If you want to protect your products in your cardboard box for a long period, then waterproofing will be helpful for this matter.
- Applying any coating or anything else will make it more robust and long-lasting.
- Elements will be in good condition if you make these boxes waterproof.
- So how can you make them waterproof? Some methods are given, so you can choose anyone more convenient.
Method # 01.
Use of waterproof coating
- Clear acrylic spray paint, lacquer spray sealer spray, or polyurethane coating can make these boxes waterproof. To apply these coatings, you should work in a well-ventilated space because the coatings are flammable.
- Protect yourself first; put on goggles and gloves. Prepare the surface by laying down the plastic sheet.
- Place your boxes on the sheet of plastic.
- Shake the can before using it. Also, shake it periodically in between treatments to mix the pigment properly.
- Hold the can and apply a thin layer about 12 inches from the cardboard box. Apply a coat that runs parallel to the surface of the box. Apply in a back-and-foreword motion.
- Let the first coat dry before applying the next one.
- When you have coated the surface, spray small blobs of the coat around the edges and corners.
- You can use any coating and follow their instructions because different coatings have different sets of instructions.
Use of a fiberglass resin coat
You can apply a fibreglass resin coat to waterproof cardboard as well as plastic, metal, and other materials.
- Prepare the surface area by laying sheets of plastic. You can also use newspapers to cover the work area. Again, to apply this coat, you need to have good ventilation. After that, spread out a sheet of silicone mat for the cardboard box to sit on. When you apply the resin, it will harden and is less likely to stick to the mat. Never forget to use protection items such as goggles and gloves.
- Combine polyester resin with the catalyst as it will set in fifteen minutes. You have to mix 12 drops of catalyst per ounce of resin.
- Apply the resin mixture with a brush to the surface of the cardboard. First, you have to apply to the
- Then apply enough resin that will fully penetrate the cardboard.
- Now it’s time to dry it for 24 hours. After drying, apply the second coat of resin and again let it dry for 24 hours.
Method # 03.
Use of self-laminating sheets
- This method is great because it is affordable, but you must buy many sheets to cover all the sides.
- You have to buy five laminating sheets for one box. To get the right-sized sheets, you have to measure the box before.
- Use your laminate sheets, one side at a time. The first side should be between two sheets of laminating plastic. Use adhesive backing inside the box to keep the sheets together.
- Lay the box sideways on the floor, resize the laminating sheets, and press it down with a book, hand, or water bottle. For lamination, you should keep pressing these sheets for a few seconds. Laminate the box from all sides. For your convenience, you can laminate the flaps. You can open the bottom side when you press the sheets.
Method # 04.
Use of PVA glue coating
- The PVA glue coating will be helpful to resist moisture to increase safety issues.
- Again, to apply this coat, you must first prepare your workplace. Cover your table with plastic foil to prevent stains.
- Now prepare the mixture of glue and water. After making this mixture, apply the first coat on the surface.
- When you have applied the first coat, could you leave it to dry? When it tries completely after a few hours, go to the next step.
- Apply a second coat and let it dry.
- Suppose you need more protection and better efficiency, then you have to apply the third coat as well. But remember, you should use a more concentrated solution at this time. Give it a complete day to dry well.
- You will have a better chance of making it water-resistant if you apply the glue correctly.
Sometimes it is important to keep precious things safe from getting damaged due to moisture. To make them safe, you need to make their packaging waterproof. After doing a lot of research, we have provided some methods that you can choose from here. Thanks.