Suede has attracted many people for a long time, and it also has a reputation in the market. People who have suede items want to protect them. So how can they make them protective? By making your suede waterproof, you can protect them from various harmful things. Waterproof boots are good to repel water and also keep feet warm.
If you have a pair of suede shoes, then you should understand some dynamics if you wish for them to last for a longer time. Suede is a soft material and more delicate than nubuck and other leathers, so it requires good care in all seasons. Suede is used by designers to make bags, footwear, jackets, etc. It is taken from the innermost side of an animal’s skin, which has a rougher texture.
Is suede waterproof?
The suede is not waterproof, but you can waterproof your suede to make it able to withstand a little rain. But after waterproofing it, you still avoid wearing it in heavy rain or a lot of water.
Are suede shoes waterproof?
Suede shoes are not waterproof, and water can damage them. Suede shoes absorb more water, and if you don’t dry them properly, they become hard and leave stains. So avoid wearing them in rain or heavy water, or take better care of them than others.
Can you make your suede shoes waterproof?
By using a special waterproofing spray for suede leather, you can make your suede shoes waterproof. But you have to apply the spray appropriately. But we do not recommend wearing suede shoes in heavy water after making them water-resistant.
Why suede shoes are not waterproof?
The suede is not waterproof because it is taken from animal skin. It is a porous material and very soft. Suede leather has no coating so it absorbs water.
Should you waterproof your suede shoes?
You should make your suede shoes waterproof even if you do not want to wear them in the rain. Suede leather is hydrophilic and easily destroyed, so making it waterproof is beneficial. Without making them waterproof, they will get moisture and get stains. Water can also cause discoloration on your shoes. Shoes may also shrink when they are exposed to water. You should avoid using direct heat to dry your suede shoes. Otherwise, their shape and size may be disturbed. So you should waterproof your suede shoes to reduce the chance of harm.
What are signs that your boots need to be waterproofed?
Signs that your suede shoes need to be waterproofed are when they absorb moisture when your feet get wet. When water can cause damage to your shoes, that means they need to be waterproofed.
Guidelines to waterproof suede shoes
Gather all the required materials and find a suitable space to work. Then, begin making your suede shoes waterproof. Follow the given steps to waterproof your suede shoes.
- Clean the area.
- Prepare the waterproofing spray.
- Dry the coats.
Clean the area
Before applying any product, you should clean all the grit and dirt from the suede shoes. Clean with a non-abrasive brush or a clean, dry cloth. The better you clean your shoes, the better coverage you get from waterproofing spray.
In case there is more debris, you need to use a stiff brush or cloth to remove the debris to increase your satisfaction. But you do not go to wash your shoes. But if some dirt is still present, you can wash the dirty areas. You can clean it with a special cleaner or soapy water. After that, leave them to dry completely.
Prepare the waterproofing spray
Now it’s time to make the spray for your suede. Then maintain a distance of four to six inches between the spray nozzle and the suede surface.
Apply the product by following the given guidelines.
- It is better to apply less spray per coat because over application can increase the risk of spots on the suede surface.
- Try to decrease the time for applying a coat (less than 10 seconds).
- Quick crosswise sprays can cause spotting. So when you are applying the spray, apply with a moderately paced waving gesture. Spraying rapidly might not cover the surface 100%.
- Spray into the welt of suede shoes. Water can seep through that region near the sole.
- Apply four to six coats.
- More coats may start to compromise the soft texture of the natural suede. The suede shoes may also lose some of their breathability with more coats.
Dry the coats
- Allow your suede shoes to dry naturally. You must dry the first coat before applying the next one.
- When you feel that the first coats are dry enough, you can apply the next one.
- Make sure they are completely dry before storing or wearing them.
Waterproofing sprays are toxic, so make sure to use them in a well-ventilated area. A good option is to apply the spray outside the house. If you cannot do this, make sure the windows of your house are wide open and keep them open for one or two hours after you apply waterproofing spray.
Can you use suede shoes in the rain?
Wearing shoes in heavy rain is not recommended, but if you make them waterproof, they can bear a little water. But still, you need to avoid more water with suede shoes. So walking with them in the pouring rain and snow is not a good thing. Waterproofing suede shoes makes them protective, but they do not become fully waterproof.
Can rain ruin your suede shoes?
Rain can damage your suede leathers, but it can’t ruin them completely. They may cause stains, discoloration, wrinkles, etc.
When should you waterproof your boots?
It is good to waterproof your footwear every season if you can, but many types of spray provide temporary protection. So whenever you need to re-waterproof, you can. Making them waterproof again will keep them looking better for a long time. If they require re-waterproofing every month, you should do that; it may depend on the use of the item.
How can you treat suede after it rains?
- Take a microfiber towel to clean and dry your suede shoes after rain. Do not leave it to dry on its own; it may cause problems. Don’t press the towel against the surface of your shoes so hard. You need to tap the towel on your suede shoes gently.
- Then, leave the boots in a well-ventilated area to dry. Do not use any heat source, like a hair dryer, because it can damage the leather and cause shrinking.
- When suede shoes are dry, using a soft brush, remove all dirt from them.
- By using a suede eraser, you can also remove watermarks.
- Then, apply a coat of waterproofing spray to suede boots.
Waterproofing your suede shoes keeps them safe from water damage, and it will also repel dirt and dust. So it is good to give you peace of mind if you face the rain. We are unable to control the weather, but we can protect our suede shoes from water damage by making them waterproof. There are different ways to make your suede shoes waterproof, but the most effective one is given in this article. You can enjoy your shoes for a long time if you follow the instructions. Water is bad for suede items, and making your suede leather items waterproof is not so complicated. So make them as protective as you can.